Student Legal Services provides students a full range of typical legal services, including advice and consultation, drafting of letters and legal documents, conferences and settlement negotiations with adverse parties, legal research, review and interpretation of legal documents, drafting and filing of legal documents, and some representation in court. Notary services are also available.
Student Legal Services provides in court representation in:
• Adoption (uncontested, step-parent adoptions)
• Dissolution of Marriage (uncontested cases, without children or real property)
• Landlord-Tenant Cases
• Name Change
• Sealing or Expunction of Criminal Records
Student Legal Services provides advice and assistance in:
• Consumer matters such as: defective products and services, warranties, contracts, credit, identify theft
• Property Damage
• Traffic Citations
• Criminal Traffic
• Criminal Charges
• Preparation of Affidavits
• Powers of Attorney, and Living Wills
Cases that are not covered by Student Legal Services:
• Business Activity of Student
• Immigration and Naturalization
• Incorporations and Partnerships
• Income Tax
• Patent, Trademark, Copyright
• Personal injury
• Real Estate
• Wills and Trusts
For the purposes of eligibility under the SLS Plan, students must be enrolled in at least 6 semester hours or enrolled in the remaining courses required to complete degree requirements at the University of Florida and have paid the Activity and Service Fee.
Student organization representatives must be enrolled in at least 6 semester hours. Student organizations must also be registered and in good standing with Student Activities and Involvement. By submitting the Client Intake Form, you are certifying you or your student organization are eligible for this service.
UF students who are not currently enrolled in classes are eligible for one semester immediately following the semester in which the student was last enrolled for at least 6 credit hours and paid A&S fees.